The Free Press, Mankato, MN

Breaking news

March 18, 2014

Boyfriend charged in suspected drug death

He allegedly told police an adult helped but never called 911

MANKATO — A girl who died after ingesting what investigators suspect was a synthetic form of LSD or cocaine was showing signs of an overdose hours before anyone called for help, according to a complaint charging her boyfriend with selling the drugs to her.

Trace Colton Hafner, 17, of Blue Earth has been charged with one count of third-degree drug sales in Blue Earth County District Court. He is accused of selling a capsule with a white powder to his girlfriend, 17-year-old Chloe Moses of Mankato. Moses died at Minneapolis Children's Hospital on March 10.

Hafner had purchased two capsules filled with a synthetic powder from a 15-year-old Mankato boy more than a week before he and Moses took the drug at her house March 7, according to the complaint filed this week.

It was a Friday night and Chloe's mother, Anna, had just left for work. Hafner had left the house earlier that night. He allegedly told investigators he returned after Anna Moses left. Hafner estimated it was about 10 minutes after he returned that he and Chloe Moses swallowed the capsules, police reported.

It was about an hour after the teens ingested the drugs that Moses "began to 'freak out' and have issues with the 'bad trip,'" the complaint said. At that point Hafner called a mutual friend and told her what was happening. That girl and her grandmother arrived at Moses' house a short time later, Hafner reported.

"He (Hafner) did not know what to do and no one called 911 for help," the complaint said.

Hafner allegedly told police he bought the two capsules for $40 and sold one of them to Moses for $20.

The girl left Moses' house first, but her grandmother stayed until about 4 a.m. March 8, the complaint said. Hafner told investigators he left the house at about 10:30 a.m. March 8, which was before Anna Moses arrived home. Someone called 911 at about 11:08 a.m. that day to report Chloe Moses was having seizures, according to police records. Moses was taken to the hospital in Mankato before being transferred to Minneapolis, where she was taken off life support March 10.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Breaking news