The Free Press, Mankato, MN

June 17, 2013

One man arrested, another hospitalized after stabbing

By Dan Nienaber
Free Press Staff Writer

NORTH MANKATO — A bleeding man walked across the street to the police station for help Monday afternoon, and an 18-year-old North Mankato man was arrested soon after at his residence for allegedly stabbing the man.

Both men were living in one of the apartments at the duplex in the 900 block of South Avenue, which is directly behind the police department, said Police Chief Chris Boyer. He identified the man arrested as Mackenzie Ray Tiegs.

Boyer said the victim, who suffered what he described as serious injuries, was not being identified Monday afternoon because his relatives were still being notified.

After the stabbing, the victim walked across the street and into the front lobby of the police department just after 2 p.m. An ambulance was called and he was taken to the hospital to be treated for injuries, including cuts to his head.

Officers and Nicollet County Sheriff's Department deputies walked over to the duplex and arrested Tiegs without incident, Boyer said. Investigators were still determining what led up to the stabbing Monday afternoon.

"It definitely was not a random attack," Boyer said.

Janelle Edmondson, who lives in the other apartment in the duplex, said Monday's incident was not the first time police had been called as a result of an argument between Tiegs and the victim. She said Tiegs is living with his mother and his mother's boyfriend was the man who was stabbed.

Edmondson heard what sounded like someone falling down the stairs next door, then watched out her front window as the victim walked over to the police department. He had cuts on his back and a bloody white shirt wrapped around his head, Edmondson said. Police arrived a short time later and had to kick Tiegs' door open because he wouldn't come outside, she said.

"I didn't hear anybody fighting. The only thing I did hear was someone falling down the steps," she said.

About three weeks ago Edmondson said she called police because Tiegs and the victim were arguing about a dog. Officers responded, but no one was arrested, she said. There were other incidents before that and the owner of the rental property told Edmondson the victim was not on the lease and shouldn't be staying there regularly. She said the victim had only been staying at the duplex occasionally since then.

"I really hopes he makes it because he's a good guy," she said.

Edmondson has lived at the duplex for about 18 months. She said Tiegs and his mother moved in about two weeks before her.

Tiegs was taken to the Nicollet County Jail where he is awaiting requested charges of second-degree assault, Boyer said.