• Whole Wheat Blueberry Pancakes or Waffles: Substitute whole wheat flour in your favorite pancake or waffle batter, then toss in fresh or frozen blueberries. 234 calories and 5 g fiber.
• Veggie Scramble and Whole Grain Toast: Scramble an egg, and toss in a handful of spinach leaves or broccoli to make a healthy scramble. Toast a slice of whole grain bread to serve with it. 234 calories and 6 g fiber.
• Blackberry Yogurt Breakfast Parfait: Layer blackberries and low-fat vanilla yogurt in a parfait glass or bowl and top with a tablespoon of granola. 272 calories and 6 g fiber.
• Strawberry Banana Smoothie: Start with one cup of strawberries. Add ½ cup plain, nonfat Greek-style yogurt, half a banana, ½ cup orange juice and a few ice cubes. Blend in the blender and you have a healthy meal in minutes. 234 calories and 5 g fiber.
• Breakfast Bean Burrito: Scramble one egg, toss in ¼ cup black beans, and place in the center of a warmed 5-inch whole grain tortilla. Top with a tablespoon of salsa and wrap it up for a high-fiber treat that you can eat on the go. 253 calories and 7 g fiber.
April Graff, MS, RD, LD, is a registered dietitian at both Mankato Hy-Vee stores and can be reached at AGraff@hy-vee.com or call 625-1107 or 625-9070. Send her questions about food and nutrition, recipes, meal planning and healthy shopping.