Upcoming Red Cross blood donation opportunities
The American Red Cross urgently needs donors to help boost the blood supply following the Independence Day holiday.
The organization has issued an emergency appeal for blood donors of all blood types, and those with O negative, B negative and A negative blood are especially encouraged to give. There is a critical need for platelet donors as well.
- 1-7 p.m., Monday, Minnesota New Country School, 210 Main St., Henderson.
- 2-7 p.m., Monday, Epiphany Lutheran Church, 605 Parkway Ave., Eagle Lake.
- 1-7 p.m., Tuesday, American Legion Hall, 97 S. Park Ave., Le Center.
- 1:30-7:30 p.m., Tuesday, American Legion Hall, 715 Third St., Nicollet.
Driver Improvement Program
The Minnesota Highway Safety Center will be offering a Driver Improvement Course for persons ages 55 and older.
Those who complete the initial eight hours of training and a four-hour refresher every three years receive and maintain a 10 percent discount on their auto insurance.
A Minnesota Highway Safety and Research Center certified instructor teaches this course utilizing the most up to date research in the field.
The fee for the four hour refresher course is $20 and the eight hour course is $24.
For more information or to register, visit www.mnsafetycenter.org or call toll free 1-888-234-1294.
The time, date and location of the courses are:
- 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., today, Lake Crystal Welcome Memorial H.S., 607 Knights Lane -- Hwy 20 and 60, Lake Crystal.
- 5:30-9:30 p.m., Monday, Roosevelt School - Com. Ed., 122 E. McKinley St., Owatonna.
Eight-hour first-time course:
- 5:30-9:30 p.m., Monday and Tuesday, Crossview Covenant Church, 2000 W. Howard Drive, North Mankato.
Weight-loss program in St. Peter
ST. PETER -- There will be a free class introducing the Healthy Transformation Weight Loss Program starting at 7 p.m. Thursday in the Cornerstone Wellness Center, 220 W. Broadway, St. Peter.
The class will discuss eating plans, basic exercise and science-based nutrition.