The Free Press, Mankato, MN

News Ticker

Currents

May 9, 2013

Registration deadline nearing for historical bus tour

MANKATO — Registrations are due Friday for a May 16 historical tour of Mankato.

The tour is hosted by the city of Mankato’s Heritage Preservation Commission, which promotes and preserves Mankato’s historic neighborhoods, buildings and places significant the city’s heritage.

Tour stops include:

n First Presbyterian Church, 220 East Hickory Street. Built in 1864, the church is home to the first congregation to formally begin in Mankato.

n Hubbard House, 606 South Broad Street. When the mansion was built in 1871 for R.D. Hubbard, it offered several amenities such as hot and cold running water, gas lighting, central heating and one of Mankato’s first telephone lines.

n Cray Mansion, 603 Second Street. Built in 1897 by Judge Loren Cray, the two-and-a-half story Queen Anne with classical and Romanesque detailing is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

n Lincoln Community Center, 110 Fulton Street. Originally an elementary school,the building served as a high school from 1941-1951 after Mankato High School was destroyed by fire. Today, Lincoln Community Center houses various Mankato Area Public Schools’ programs.

n Betsy Tacy houses, 333 Center Street. Local author Maud Hart Lovelace grew up in the Betsy Tacy houses, which are described in her Betsy Tacy book series.

n Former Minnesota State University Campus, 301 South Fifth Street. The Normal School, the university’s first dedicated building, is known as Old Main.

n Former brewery area. Built in 1857, the Bierbauer Brewery was the first of its kind in the territory.

n Tourtellotte Parkway. The parkway is the location of Mankato Electric Traction Company’s first trolley line (from Tourtellotte Park to Vine Street).

n Pioneer Memorial Park. The burial grounds is home to two of the oldest cemetaries in Mankato.

n Tourtellotte Pool. 300 West Mabel Street. The swimming pool dates back to 1939 and was formally dedicated on June 30, 1940.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Currents