- Tips for keeping poinsettias healthy through all seasons Poinsettia plants are native to Central America, especially an area of southern Mexico known as Taxco del Alarcon where they flower during the winter. The ancient Aztecs called them "cuetlaxochitl." The Aztecs used the flowers (special types of leave
- Dietitian: Fight illness tastefully with wellness-promoting foods Q: It seems that everywhere I turn this past week, someone has been getting sick. Are there any foods that help boost immunity? A: Cold-weather months are notorious for assisting in the spread of bacteria and viruses, experts say, because germs can
- Christmas at Bethany: Annual holiday concerts a tradition dating back to WWII When the Christmas at Bethany concert begins late afternoon, the setting sun creates a glow in Trinity Chapel. And as the concert begins, and night falls, the dim chapel lighting and the lit Christmas trees create a warm, cozy feeling among the perfo
- Church Briefs Bethlehem Birthday at Belgrade Methodist NORTH MANKATO -- Travel back in time to Bethlehem from 1-4 p.m. Saturday at Belgrade Avenue United Methodist Church, 325 Sherman St., North Mankato. The event will bring the Christmas story to life through han
Art Exhibits: Nov. 28-Dec. 4
Arts Center of St. Peter — Rural American Contemporary Artists show through Dec. 1 at 315 S. Minnesota Ave., St. Peter. Thanksgiving week hours: 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday and 1-5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. Blue Earth County Libra
Entertainment Calendar: Nov. 28-Dec. 4
Christkindlmarkt -- 10 a.m.-5 p.m., New Ulm Event Center, 301 20th Street S., New Ulm, free, 507-276-6298.
Kato Plus Square Dance Club -- 7:30 p.m., Summit Center, 518 S. 5th St., Mankato, $6, 507-3883344.
Kiwanis Holiday Lights Opening Ceremonies -- 6 p.m., Sibley Park, Mankato, 507-385-9129.
- SMILES exhibiting art of the institutionalized on Monday MANKATO — An art exhibit comprised of works created by those who have been patients in state institutions will be on display for only two hours on Monday. The one-time art exhibit — named "Remembering with Dignity" in conjunction with the organizatio
- MSU student Charles Duda's 'The Big Event' mixes violence and ice cream Visitors to Charles Francis Duda's art exhibition on Monday will be served ice cream. They may not finish, however, amidst the Minnesota State University master's student's video-fueled assault of violent and disturbing imagery. "It is an assault," s
- Need a gluten-free Thanksgiving? Plan ahead and no problem Q: I am hosting Thanksgiving this year and my brother has recently been diagnosed with celiac disease. What do I need to know to keep him healthy, but still let him have the traditional Thanksgiving foods? A: Planning ahead is the key to any Thanksgi
- Mankato Ballet, Symphony Orchestra collaborating on 'Nutcracker' Mankato Ballet Company and Mankato Symphony Orchestra have been dancing around the idea of collaborating for years. During the symphony's annual Candy Cane concert, a few Mankato Ballet dancers have accompanied the “Nutcracker” piece in the past. But
- More Currents Headlines