The Free Press, Mankato, MN

Local News

March 25, 2013

Alleged acid trips lead to arrests

Men allegedly took six hits of acid each before call for help

MANKATO — Two men who reportedly took six hits of LSD each during a four-hour period
are facing criminal charges for allegedly struggling with deputies who were
called to an Eagle Lake residence to deal with them.

The deputies were called to the Country Manor mobile home park at about 9
a.m. March 17 for a disturbance. When one of the deputies arrived, a man
outside one of the mobile homes said Jamie Robert Kor, 21, of Mankato was
inside "high on acid and destroying things," according to a criminal

When the deputy went inside, he could hear someone yelling and pounding on
things in a locked back bedroom. The deputy reported he peeked through a
hole in the bedroom door and could see Kor pacing back and forth with no
shirt while his pants and underwear were down around his ankles.

That deputy kicked the door open, pointed a tasing device at Kor and ordered
him to lie down on the bed. Another deputy then handcuffed Kor, who both
argued with and apologized to deputies, the complaint said.

An ambulance was called to the scene because Kor became violent after he was
taken outside. He eventually had to be strapped to a backboard and a mask
was put over his face because he was spitting at the deputies, according to
the complaint.

A second man, 22-year-old Skylar Thomas Gappa of Eagle Lake, was confronted
inside the mobile home by two deputies who arrived later. Gappa also was
taken into custody because his eyes were dilated, he was incoherent and
deputies were concerned about their safety, the complaint said.

After Gappa was put in the back of the squad car, he managed to turn himself
around, put his feet into the air and kick out the back window of the car,
according to the complaint. He was apparently attempting to escape through
the window when two deputies and an Eagle Lake police officer pulled him
through the window and forced him to the ground. Gappa had somehow gotten
his handcuffed hands from the back of his body to the front and allegedly
continued to resist after being taken out of the squad car.

The man who called for help, 21-year-old David Young, told deputies he was
spending the night at the mobile home with Kor and Gappa. He said he watched
each of the men take six hits of LSD, taking two hits at a time during
two-hour intervals, according to an affidavit requesting a search warrant.

Young stayed awake until about 5 a.m. because he wanted to make sure Kor and Gappa were safe. He told investigators Gappa woke him up a few hours later
saying "something went wrong." That's when Young said he saw Kor running
through the mobile home naked and yelling "Oh my God. Help me. I¹m so high,"
the affidavit said.

After Kor jumped on a woman living in the mobile home and started talking to
people who weren¹t there, Young said he became concerned enough to call for

Kor and Gappa remained in the Blue Earth County Jail Monday. Kor is facing a
felony charge of fourth-degree assault of a police officer. Gappa has been
charged with third-degree criminal damage to property, a gross misdemeanor.
Both men also are facing gross misdemeanor obstruction of justice charges.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Local News