The Free Press, Mankato, MN

December 29, 2013

Top 10 story: No. 4: Armed stand-off leaves North Mankato man dead

Lloyd Tschohl, 83, shot as he emerges from house with guns

The Mankato Free Press

---- — NORTH MANKATO — The armed stand-off between local police and a North Mankato man in January ended when police shot and killed 83-year-old Lloyd Tschohl in his home.

The story was one of the most read articles among The Free Press readership in 2013.

Police were called to Tschohl’s house at 1610 Lor Ray Drive around 10 a.m. Jan. 17 for what was described as a welfare check. When he refused to come outside, the regional River Valley Tactical Response Team was called because officers were concerned about weapons they knew Tschohl had in the house. They also were concerned about public safety because Tschohl’s house is close to the busy intersection of Lee Boulevard and Lor Ray Drive.

After spending hours attempting to get Tschohl to surrender, members of the response team approached the house from both sides at about 2 p.m. Police said Tschohl fired shots from inside the house at that time, then was shot and killed a short time later when he came out of the house firing two handguns.

After authorities released their version of events, Tschohl’s 50-year-old adopted daughter, who initially called 911 because she was concerned about him, said her memory about what led up to the standoff is different from the information in the affidavit used to justify a search of Tschohl’s home after he was killed.

Audrey Lynn Telthoester-Tschohl was living in an apartment on the second floor of Tschohl’s house. She said her only 911 call about Tschohl’s situation was made Jan. 16, the evening before the standoff. She said she explained then that Tschohl was saying things that made her concerned he was a harm to himself and others. Tschohl had told her he believed there were people outside his home who were trying to get him and he wanted to shoot them.

It was later revealed the tactical police team that surrounded Tschohl's home had considered using a nonlethal chemical device before the situation escalated.

One officer on the scene said in a report that authorities discussed “chemical options."

“The decision was made to turn off the gas then breach the living room window and the primary entry door simultaneously to help ensure that Lloyd Tschohl could hear efforts to communicate with him. Breaching the window would also introduce cold air into the structure, allow visibility to monitor movement, and provide access to deploy handheld chemicals inside if necessary,” Blue Earth County Sheriff’s detective Paul Barta wrote in his report. “The Nicollet County Attorney was consulted to ensure there was legal oversight of the situation.”

The reports say that when the team members approached the house, turned off the gas then breached the window and door, Tschohl shot at them from inside the house. They retreated to cover and a short time later Tschohl came out a door with two handguns, firing several shots at officers. The shootout occurred just after 2 p.m.

The incident was investigated by the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension. After reviewing the BCA's investigative report, the Nicollet County Attorney's Office decided to take no action in the case.

The BCA report contains 350 pages of documents, interview transcripts and reports. The report also has numerous photographs from the scene, including multiple bullet holes in the home and outside buildings. There were also photos of several rifles inside the home, numerous boxes of ammunition and photos of the handguns Tschohl used outside the house.