The Free Press, Mankato, MN

September 27, 2010

Man alleges attack with new-style weapon

By Robb Murray

MANKATO — Police say a man armed with something called “Blast Knuckles” knocked a man unconscious briefly before speeding away in a car with a companion.

Carson Pester, 21, who lives on the 400 block of Warren Street, told police he was approached on the street in front of his house by a car load of men.

One of them got out and asked Pester, “Where’s the party?”

Pester replied, “Not here.”

At that point, Pester says one of the men got out of his car and placed an object near his head. Pester said the last thing he heard was a clicking sound before blacking out briefly. When he regained consciousness, he saw the car speeding away and heard the men inside laughing.

Pester says he went back inside his house, and a short time later he saw those same men outside, using the light from their cell phones to hunt for something on the ground. He yelled out the window to them and they fled.

He reported the incident to police and soon the suspects’ vehicle was stopped near the Minnesota State University campus.

Police searched their vehicle and found a weapon that’s part brass knuckles and part stun gun. It’s called “Blast Knuckles” and it looks like a standard brass-knuckle-like weapon. But on the contact surface there are two pieces of metal that deliver an electric shock similar to a stun gun.

Police seized the weapon and arrested Deanthony Clark, 19, of Mankato and Terrance Wadley, 19, of Le Sueur.

Clark could face charges of possessing an electronic incapacitation device, second-degree assault, possession of a dangerous weapon and underage consumption.

Wadley could face charges of possessing and electronic incapacitation device, underage consumption and driving while intoxicated.

After arresting the pair, police went back to the scene and recovered a pair of lithium batteries that presumably fell out of the “Blast Knuckles.”

The unit delivers about 950,000 volts of electricity.

It’s unclear where Clark or Wadley obtained the weapon, and neither reportedly were up for sharing that information.

“They were pretty uncooperative,” police Cmdr. Jeremy Clifton said.