The Free Press, Mankato, MN

Local News

January 30, 2014

Man sought in Le Center rape case

LE CENTER — The Le Sueur County Sheriff’s Office is looking for a Faribault man who is accused of sexually assaulting a woman last March.

Abdirahman Hamdi Santur, 25, was picked out of a photo lineup last week by the victim as one of two men who assaulted her in the early morning of March 3, 2013, according to a criminal complaint.

Chief Deputy Dave Tietz suspects Santur is no longer in the area, considering that the other man charged in the case, 30-year-old Mohamud F. Abdi, was apprehended in Colorado in November. Both men are charged with first-degree criminal sexual conduct.

The victim said that her roommate invited Abdi over at about midnight on March 3 to their Le Center home, but that they didn’t know he would bring a friend, later identified as Santur, according to the complaint.

The victim said she was in her bed when Santur asked if he could come in and talk. He then pushed her back on her bed and raped her.

A few minutes after he left, she said, Abdi came in the room without pants on and he, too, raped her.

The victim then asked to be taken to the hospital, where she underwent a sexual assault examination.

The investigator, Bob Vollmer, submitted a DNA sample from Abdi to the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension on Dec. 17 for a comparison. The criminal complaint doesn’t say if the test has been completed.

Back in March, the victim had recognized her second rapist, who the police say is Abdi, in a photo lineup and a nationwide warrant went out.

On Nov. 23, police in the Denver area said they had arrested Abdi at a hotel. He was taken to Le Center, where he remains jailed.

To identify the second man, the investigator asked jail staff for a disk containing Abdi’s phone calls. After getting a Somali interpreter, the investigator heard Abdi reference Santur. The two had apparently lived together in Faribault.

Tietz, the chief deputy, praised the investigation.

“Obviously, our investigators kept working away at this,” he said. “They did a very, very good job.”

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Local News