The Free Press
GARDEN CITY — An early morning fire moderately damaged a rural Garden City barn Friday.
Lake Crystal firefighters responded about 6:20 a.m. to a call reporting smoke coming from the barn on the Hugh and Vail Belgard farm in Garden City Township. One sow and her four 3-week-old babies were housed in the barn. One piglet died as a result of the fire.
Firefighters were on the scene about one hour. It was determined the fire started in an area where a heat lamp had been hanging.
A damage estimate was not available Friday.