The Mankato Free Press
---- — MANKATO — Firefighters were able to respond quickly Sunday to a kitchen fire thanks to a neighbor's sharp hearing and a fresh set of smoke detector batteries.
The neighbor called 911 to report the fire at 316 Dolph Road at about 1 p.m. A fire had started in the kitchen, possibly by faulty wiring in the stove, said Cmdr. Donald Lehne of the Mankato Department of Public Safety.
"The good news is the owners had just changed the batteries in their smoke detectors and a neighbor heard the detectors," Lehne said.
Most of the fire's damage was caused by smoke. Lehne said his preliminary estimate for repairing the damage is about $5,000.