The Free Press, Mankato, MN

Local News

April 16, 2013

Woman being sued for assault now faces criminal charges

MANKATO —  A woman who was already being sued for injuries from an alleged January assault outside a downtown Mankato bar is now facing criminal charges for the same incident.

When the attorney in the civil case, Michael Padden of Lake Elmo, filed the lawsuit against 37-year-old Tekeshia Michelle Klyce in March, he said he was concerned no criminal charges had been filed at that point.

 The assault allegedly happened at about 2:15 a.m. Jan. 13. The lawsuit was filed March 8, nearly two months after the incident, and the criminal charges were filed Monday, about three months after Tammy Burger of Mankato reported she was attacked by Klyce.

A Mankato police officer was on patrol downtown when he saw Burger squatting down in front of the Pub 500 bar. Burger was holding her midsection and crying, officer Bill Reinbold reported. Burger told Reinbold she had been assaulted in front to the Red Sky Lounge by women related to a man she knew, but she didn’t know the names of the women, according to a criminal complaint filed against Klyce.

Reinbold went to the Red Sky to find out if there was surveillance video of the incident. A manager brought him to the office to watch video of the front sidewalk along Front Street.

“The video clearly showed (Burger) inside of the bar and upset about something,” the complaint said. “Burger then is removed from the bar by staff.”

After Burger was taken outside, she could be seen walking up to a group of people, then walking away. A woman, who Reinbold identified as Klyce, follows Burger, tackled her and started punching her repeatedly, the complaint said. A group then formed around Burger and others joined Klyce in the assault, Reinbold reported. Klyce also uses the first name Latisa.

Reinbold didn’t take the surveillance recording the night of the incident. He did return to the bar three days later to get the recording but was told it was too late. Reinbold was told Red Sky’s video system saves recording for four days and the recording he was looking for had been erased, the complaint said.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Local News