By Dan Nienaber
Free Press Staff Writer
MANKATO — A 22-year-old St. Paul man was sentenced Tuesday to three years and four months in prison for robbing a car at gunpoint in October 2011.
Christopher Edward Sungmin-Carter was arrested Oct. 27 after two women reported they had been threatened by a man with a gun in the parking lot of a Monks Avenue apartment complex. The women said the man pointed the gun at them and told them to turn over a set of car keys or they would be shot, the criminal complaint said.
Police found someone driving the stolen 2005 Ford Taurus near the intersection of Victory and Balcerzak drives. Sungmin-Carter was arrested and a fake gun was found inside the car.
Sungmin-Carter pleaded guilty to second-degree assault with a deadly weapon Nov. 30 in a plea agreement that dismissed a second assault charge and a first-degree aggravated robbery charge.
A plea hearing was first set in February, but it was canceled after Sungmin-Carter changed his mind. His attorney, Rich Hillesheim, filed a motion in April requesting a mental health evaluation because he didn’t believe his client was competent to stand trial.
The case moved forward, but more competency questions were raised by Hillesheim as it progressed.
With credit for good time and 411 days already served in jail since his arrest, Sungmin-Carter will serve less than a year of the prison sentence.