The Free Press, Mankato, MN

Local News

July 23, 2013

Fight between women ends with hit-and-run crash

North Mankato woman arrested

MANKATO — A fight at a party that allegedly escalated into a hit-and-run crash sent one woman to the hospital and another to jail early Saturday morning.

Police were called to the intersection of Heron and Tennyson drives at about 1:40 a.m. Saturday for a woman who had been hit by a car. When police arrived, the victim, 21-year-old Molly McIntyre of Mankato, said the driver of the car that hit her had driven away.

McIntyre told witnesses that the driver was Marisa Michele Wollenzien, 19, of North Mankato. She also said her former boyfriend and Wollenzien's current boyfriend, Eddie Williams, was a passenger in the car.

One witness told police she was standing near the entrance to the University Park mobile home park when she heard a woman yell a profanity at someone. Then she said she watched as a silver car accelerated and hit McIntyre, who landed on the hood of the car before rolling to the ground.

The witness "stated that the car then left the scene at a high rate of speed, not stopping at any time," according to a criminal complaint in Blue Earth County District Court.

Wollenzien's car was found at her North Mankato residence in the 1500 block of La Mar Drive by a Mankato police officer at about 2:30 a.m. She wasn't there but was located later with help from North Mankato police, the complaint said.

Other witnesses told police Wollenzien and McIntyre had been fighting at a party at one of the mobile homes. They were told to leave and McIntyre, who had been drinking, was given a ride by another woman at the party. That woman later told investigators McIntyre got out of her car at a stop sign and started running back toward the party.

When McIntyre was interviewed at the hospital, she said Wollenzien attacked her at the party and she defended herself. Both threw punches and struck each other, she said. She also said she was struck by the silver car after she got out of the other car, but she didn't remember why she got out of the car or where she was going because she was "heavily intoxicated," the complaint said.

When Williams was interviewed, he said he was in Wollenzien's car when it hit McIntyre. He told an officer he didn't tell her to stop, but he did call 911 to report McIntyre had been hit and was lying in the street.

Wollenzien was released from jail after appearing in court for one gross misdemeanor count of criminal vehicular operation.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Local News