The Free Press, Mankato, MN

Local News

April 18, 2014

Update: Drug death suspects charged with murder

MANKATO — A warrant has been issued for the arrest of a Mankato man who has been charged with aiding and abetting third-degree murder for the deaths of two people who died after taking a synthetic drug.

The charges were filed against Tyler Anthony Caputo, 21, on Thursday.

Another man, 30-year-old James Luke Inman of Mankato, is facing one charge of aiding and abetting third degree murder for the death of one of the victims. Inman was taken into custody Thursday night.

Both men had posted bail for their release from jail in March after they were originally charged with selling narcotics related to the deaths.

Inman is accused of obtaining a synthetic drug known as "2C" from Caputo and selling it to Louis Nathan Folson, 22. Folson died March 5 after taking the drug with another man at his Mankato apartment.

A 15-year-old boy, who has not been identified by authorities, allegedly obtained the same drug from Caputo and sold it to Trace Colton Hafner, 17, of Blue Earth. Hafner and his girlfriend, 17-year-old Chloe Leah Moses of Mankato, took the drug at Moses' mother's house in Mankato on March 7.

Moses had a bad reaction, but Hafner did not call for help, according to court records. She was taken to the hospital after her mother found her unresponsive. Moses died at a hospital in Minneapolis on March 10. Caputo is also facing an aiding and abetting third-degree murder charge for her death.

Hafner also could face an aiding and abetting murder charge for supplying the drug to Moses. He had not been charged as of Friday morning.

The new criminal complaints also have more details about the investigation:

Another man was with Folson and also took the drug, specifically identified in toxicology reports as 25C1-NBOMe. He reported Folson started shaking violently and foaming at the mouth about 30 minutes after they took it. The man said he was at the house when the drug and some marijuana were delivered at about 4 p.m., but he did not know the supplier.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Local News