The Free Press, Mankato, MN

July 4, 2013

Soccer player jailed after goal stake threat

Player who had been kicked off team, threatened to stab coach

By Dan Nienaber
The Mankato Free Press

---- — MANKATO — A soccer player who allegedly threatened his coach with a goal stake has been charged with felony assault.

North Mankato police were called to a disturbance at North Ridge Park at about 6:50 p.m. Saturday. A man called 911 to report another man was threatening people with a sharp object and preventing them from playing a soccer game.

When an officer arrived, he asked two men in soccer uniforms to point to the person with a weapon. They pointed toward Nasir Mohamed Abdalla, 18, of North Mankato. Abdalla was handcuffed and patted down, but no weapon was found, the officer reported.

After Abdalla was placed in a squad car, the officer talked to the two men who had pointed at Abdalla. One of them, a 34-year-old man who is only identified in the criminal complaint as “A.E.,” told the officer he is the coach of a teen soccer team that was playing at the field.

The coach told the officer Abdalla was a former member of the team. He had been kicked off the team in 2012 due to behavior problems. Abdalla was allowed to join the team again this year, but had been told he was off the team the week before after tried to fight an opposing player, the coach said.

Abdalla arrived to play at the game Saturday and allegedly threatened the coach when he was told he couldn’t play. The coach told the officer Abdalla pulled a foot-long soccer net stake out of the ground and walked toward the coach while making a stabbing motion.

The coach also said Abdalla threatened to “butcher” him, according to the criminal complaint filed this week in Nicollet County District Court. Other players were able to intervene and pull Abdalla away, the coach said.

Another witness gave the officer a similar description of what happened. Abdinasir Ali, 27, also said the decision was made to call 911 because players were concerned the coach would be stabbed.

Abdalla’s bail was set at $5,000. He remained in jail Wednesday facing felony charges of second-degree assault and making terroristic threats.