Blue Earth County
Kathryn Brand and Jolene Marie Tietz
MANKATO — Kathryn Brand of Mankato was elected to membership in the Honor Society of Nursing, Sigma Theta Tau International as an undergraduate student through Mu Lambda Chapter at Minnesota State University on April 20. Jolene Marie Tietz of Mankato has been elected to membership as a graduate student.
Mankato West High School
MANKATO — The Mankato West High School Music Department participated in the Region 2AA Solo and Ensemble Music Contest sponsored by the Minnesota Sate High School League on March 30. Of the 38 events entered by West, 27 of them earned superior ratings including two that were named best performance in their site for the day. Almost 100 of West’s students participated.
The following students were rated superior in band solos: Adriane Otopalik (flute), Kelsi Tomm (flute), Brittany Stevens (clarinet), David Lindell (alto saxophone), Nikki Tomm (alto saxophone), Michael Schuldt (trumpet), Tim Mackie (trombone), Marty Kramlinger (trombone), Angie Frisk (xylophone), Brent Slingsby (snare drum), and Eric Elker (snare drum).
The following students were rated excellent in band solos: Mariah Krusemark (trumpet) and William Backes (trombone).
The following students were rated superior in band ensembles: Adriane Otopalik and Kelsi Tomm (flute duet); Mark Walchuk, David Lindell, Betsy Vose, Kelsy White (saxophone quartet); Kelsi Tomm, Megan Albright, Kristi Holmberg, Brittany Stevens, Ashley Buhr, Emily Miller, Rachel Mattison, Michelle Lindell, Megan Richmond, Schuyler Houtsma, Scott Klapperich, David Lindell, Nikki Tomm (woodwind choir); Rica Rachut, Brent Slingsby, Amanda Finch, Angie Firsk, Eric Elker, Erica Curtis, DJ Curtis, Forrest Kunkel, Scott Klapperich, Mark Walchuk (percussion ensemble).
The following students were rated excellent in band ensembles: Nicole Frish and Erica Curtis (alto saxophone duet); Rachel Peterson, Lauren Duran, Sarah Kamara, and Kirsten Scheller (flute quartet); Ashley Buhr and Emily Miller (clarinet duet).
The following choir solos were rated superior: Arian Ludi, Tim Mackie, Erica Putzke, Sam Mickle, Hanna Cesario, Carissa Ries, Jeff Hatleli, and Joe Mundell.
Blue Earth County
- Local News
- Mankato man suing mother for allegedly stealing funds The complaint alleges that Charles Oliver's mother Charlotte Anderson of Ormsby was placed in charge of the account and made a large number of unauthorized withdrawals from December 2004 to March 2005.
- Murray: Regarding hospital selfie, calm down Overreaction to hero's hospital cellphone photo
- CIty report: No cause to deny liquor license renewals Blue Bricks has most "strikes" in report.
- MSU student killed in St. Paul Police investigating incident in which Nicholas Stephan, 22, died
- Hearing set for St. Peter teacher Robert Shoemaker is scheduled to be in court later this month while attorneys on both sides make arguments about what should be admissible during trial.
- Lawmakers hosting mid-session forums Mid-session town hall forums planned in Mankato and St. Peter
- Professor taught science, led dancing Art Glass, at Gustavus for 30-plus years, died Saturday at age 93
Update: Arbitrator rules Hoffner should be rehired
Minnesota State University head football coach Todd Hoffner should be reinstated because the university did not have grounds to fire him, the arbitrator said.
- Retired police officer running for Mankato Council Trudy Kunkel worked for city 26 years. Now she wants to serve on the City Council
- House approves Purple Heart motorcyle plate The state House unanimously approved a motorcycle license plate on Thursday for veterans wounded in combat.
- More Local News Headlines