Montgomery man killed in motorcycle accident
BELLE PLAINE — A 64-year-old motorcyclist was killed Saturday afternoon just north of Belle Plaine.
The State Patrol said William D. Southworth of Montgomery drove into the intersection of Highway 25 and County Road 40 about 4:30 p.m. and broadsided a pickup truck driven by Theresa M. Koenig, 58, of Belle Plaine. She received minor injuries.
Southworth died at the scene. The patrol said he was not wearing a helmet and alcohol was detected.
One killed in head-on collision
BUTTERFIELD — One person was killed in a three-vehicle accident at 7:30 p.m. Sunday, two miles west of Butterfield.
The name of the deceased has not yet been released.
The State Patrol said a westbound 1989 Honda and an eastbound 2003 Chevrolet wagon driven by Heather Jensen, 29, of New Ulm sideswiped each other on the two-lane Highway 60.
The Honda then collided head-on with a eastbound 2003 Dodge wagon driven by Mathew Wendland, 30, of Sartell.
Wendland received non-life threatening injuries. Jensen and two passengers in her car, Alex Jensen, 4, and Nathaniel Jensen, 5, were not injured.
Man arrested after pointing replica gun at police officer
MANKATO — His first bad choice was pointing a replica handgun at a vehicle.
His second bad choice was pointing a replica handgun at a vehicle with a police commander in it.
Mankato Public Safety Cmdr. Amy Vokal was driving home from her shift at 4 a.m. Sunday in uniform, but in her personal vehicle, when she went by the apartment complexes on Balcerzack Drive.
That’s when, say police, Wayne Minnichsoffer, 22, standing near the sidewalk, pointed a replica pellet handgun at her vehicle, following it as she drove past.
Vokal called for backup and she and two other officers, guns drawn, ordered Minnichsoffer to the ground. They found the replica gun nearby where they say he’d dropped it.
Minnichsoffer, who lives in one of the apartment complexes, is in jail and facing charges of second-degree assault.
No one hurt in suspected arson
MANKATO — Mankato officials are looking for a young man they suspect set fire to an unoccupied home at 3 a.m. Monday.
Police say a man entered the home at 828 Sibley St. by breaking a window, poured flammable liquid on the floor, lit the fire and fled. He is described as in his early 20s, with light brown hair, wearing khaki shorts, no shirt and tennis shoes.
The fire was quickly put out and resulted in $5,000 damage.
The home, owned by Carl Schmitz of Garden City was being renovated in preparation to be rented.
Anyone with information is asked to call the fire marshal’s office at 387-8563. There is a reward being offered.
Man arrested for damaging mailboxes
MANKATO — Police arrested Jacob Neid, 19, of Sleepy Eye at 2:30 a.m. Saturday after receiving a call about two men damaging mailboxes.
Police say 18 mailboxes on James Avenue, between Fairfield Avenue and Lilly Street, were damaged, causing $1,800 in damage.
Police say Neid was identified by witnesses as the one who had damaged mailboxes. The other person was not located.
He was cited for underage drinking, was jailed and is facing charges of criminal damage to property.
Man injured in ATV accident
MAPLETON — A man driving a 2007 all-terrain vehicle a half-mile north of Daly Park lost control on a curve and went in the ditch at 10 a.m. Saturday.
Steven P. Pfeffer of New Ulm, was taken to the hospital by a relative. He was treated for leg and facial injuries. The ATV was destroyed.
Montgomery man killed in motorcycle accident
- Local News
- Nothing nefarius, just art A suspicious package call on the Minnesota State University campus turned out to be an art project.
- MSU students volunteer for Red Kettle campaign Social work majors collected donations and greeted shoppers during their volunteer shift
- Experts evaluating Gifted and Talented program Mankato Schools hired consultants in response to parent feedback
- Lawsuit filed in deadly fall case Andrew Burnett, 28, of New Ulm died Oct. 27, 2012, when he fell about 60 feet while working at the South Central Grain and Energy facility in Buffalo Lake.
- Nicollet man critically injured in rollover Monday Samson C. Palmquist was in critical condition at North Memorial in Robbinsdale
- Grocery produce waste now recycled Hilltop Hy-Vee received a grant to compost its waste with the compost going to the community farm.
- Fire destroys house in Kilkenny No one was injured in house fire that started in a chimney Wednesday night.
- Santa to a Senior needs volunteers About 200 gifts to be wrapped,delivered to area's elderl y.
- Mankato man wins state lottery prize Winning $25,000 scratch game purchased at Holiday on Riverfront Drive.
- Frost man dies in vehicle rollover John Yanke was driving Ford Ranger on Highway 254
- More Local News Headlines