The Free Press, Mankato, MN

Local News

December 11, 2013

Update: Wood stove fire destroys large garage at Rasmussen residence

Shed destroyed by rekindled wood stove fire

(Continued)

"It was freezing cold and that made the job more difficult," McCarthy said. "Your hands get cold, your feet get cold and everything you spray turns into ice."

Extremely cold weather also freezes the respirators used by firefighters when they go into smoke-filled buildings, he said.

The area all around the shed was covered with ice Wednesday morning. Rasmussen said she had to warn an inspector to not drive up to the building because the ice could make it difficult to drive out again. An excavator was brought to the property to knock the building down because it was a total loss.

"All of the fire departments were great and I'm so glad we have them," Rasmussen said. "Those poor guys stood out there and they were cold. They're a great group of people."

*This story was changed from its original version to clarify McCarthy said the fire rekindled in the wood stove.

 

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Local News