The Free Press, Mankato, MN

Local News

February 24, 2013

Documents, recollections differ in fatal North Mankato standoff



The affidavit for the search warrant, which was written by North Mankato police detective Jeremy Swenson after the shooting, said officers Chris Hendrickson and Dan Forster were sent to Tschohl’s house just before 7 p.m. Jan. 16. Swenson said Telthoester-Tschohl had reported her father was refusing to go to the doctor.

When the officers got to the house, Tschohl opened a door, then closed it again before they could talk to him. Once Telthoester-Tschohl got there, Tschohl turned on an outside light but wouldn’t come out or talk to the officers.

“Audrey then stated that Lloyd had not made any threats about harming himself or anyone else, so officer Hendrickson advised Audrey to call again if she needed help,” the affidavit said.

Telthoester-Tschohl said she never told the officers her father wasn’t a threat to himself. She assumed the officers had been briefed about what she had told the 911 dispatcher, which she said was very detailed.

“I think there was just a lapse in communication between those officers and dispatchers,” she said. “I told the dispatcher he needs to get to the emergency room because he’s confused and aggravated.”

Nicollet County 911 call records show that dispatch received a call from Tschohl’s address at 6:43 p.m. Jan. 16. The call lasted three minutes before the officers were dispatched and the officers arrived at the house at about 7 p.m. They cleared the scene at 7:51 p.m., the records showed.

Transcripts from that 911 call show that Telthoester-Tschohl told the 911 dispatcher that she was concerned about her father’s safety. Large portions of what she said have been blocked out by the Nicollet County attorney in the transcript provided to The Free Press.

One section does make reference to “senior symptoms,” has about two lines blocked out, then quotes Telthoester-Tschohl as saying:

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Local News