The Free Press, Mankato, MN

May 1, 2013

Woman injured in duplex fire Tuesday night

Couch caught fire, doused quickly


The Free Press

MANKATO — A Mankato woman was hospitalized for smoke inhalation after a

couch caught fire in her home.



Firefighters were called to the two-story duplex at 10:56 p.m. Tuesday and

were able to put the fire out quickly, said Jeff Bengtson, Mankato

Department of Public Safety deputy director. The fire was contained to one

room, but there was heat and smoke damage to the rest of the duplex at 514

N. Second St.



Linda Tabatt, 53, was in the first floor apartment of the duplex when the

fire started. She was taken to the hospital.



Her roommate and two or three residents from the second floor apartment also

had to leave the duplex due to damage, Bengtson said. The estimated cost to

repair the damage is $25,000.