- Cross column: No wake, no fish ... no problems on the water Patience is always a virtue when fishing.
Cross column: Where does the buck stop in your home?
Displaying your trophy catch can be debatable
Know Your Lakes: Series maps
Missed out on the weekly lake preview Wednesday's in the print edition? That's ok, we have you covered here. View the series thus far and download a printable PDF.
- Storms came at horrible time for pheasants For pheasants and pheasant hunters, there were no silver linings to be found in the storm clouds that inundated the countryside with heavy rains this week.A foot of rain falling in just a week is never good, but for pheasants, it came at precisely th
- Early morning is beautifully lonely Benjamin Franklin was on to something when he extolled the benefits of "early to bed, early to rise." While I can't vouch for its effect on health, wealth or wisdom, rolling out of the sack certainly seems to pay dividends for outdoor activities. The
- Cross: Take a kid fishing, no license needed A few years ago, while cruising with a co-worker through an area community on a steamy summer day, we passed a vacant lot. There, oblivious to the heat and humidity, a group of kids were playing a game of pick-up baseball, racing down well-worn paths
- Cross: Once upon a time, when fishing was simple... Once upon a time, fishing was a pretty simple affair. A rod-and-reel, some bait and tackle, perhaps a rowboat if you were lucky, and you were in business. While the basic premise of angling -- to catch fish -- remains, it sure seems to have grown mor
- Almost too nice to catch Leech Lake walleye LEECH LAKE -- Opening day of the Minnesota fishing season on Leech Lake arrived Saturday, cloudless and with nary a breath of wind. It was the nice weather one might expect all winter-weary anglers to embrace as we motored away from harbors, resorts
- Northern lakes may not be ready for opener Averages are the result of extremes. And when it comes to average ice-out dates on Minnesota lakes, nature has been at both ends of extreme in just the past two years. For example, in 2012, the ice officially went out on Lake Winnibigoshish on March
- No Headline Provided Fishing tournament set for Madison Lake MADISON LAKE -- The Minnesota Fishing Tournament for Life will be held on from 7 a.m to 3 p.m. on June 7 on Madison Lake. The tournament, which benefits the Minnesota Adult & Teen Challenge and Young Life chari
- More Outdoors Headlines