- Cross: Once upon a time, when fishing was simple... Once upon a time, fishing was a pretty simple affair. A rod-and-reel, some bait and tackle, perhaps a rowboat if you were lucky, and you were in business. While the basic premise of angling -- to catch fish -- remains, it sure seems to have grown mor
- Almost too nice to catch Leech Lake walleye LEECH LAKE -- Opening day of the Minnesota fishing season on Leech Lake arrived Saturday, cloudless and with nary a breath of wind. It was the nice weather one might expect all winter-weary anglers to embrace as we motored away from harbors, resorts
- Northern lakes may not be ready for opener Averages are the result of extremes. And when it comes to average ice-out dates on Minnesota lakes, nature has been at both ends of extreme in just the past two years. For example, in 2012, the ice officially went out on Lake Winnibigoshish on March
- No Headline Provided Fishing tournament set for Madison Lake MADISON LAKE -- The Minnesota Fishing Tournament for Life will be held on from 7 a.m to 3 p.m. on June 7 on Madison Lake. The tournament, which benefits the Minnesota Adult & Teen Challenge and Young Life chari
- Cross column: Killing wood ticks instead of gobblers Some things just naturally go so well with turkey, don't they? There's turkey and dressing. Turkey and gravy. Turkey and wood ticks. Wood ticks? If you've spent anytime shopping in the spring time woods for a Butterball's wild brethren, you know the
- Paying homage to the turkey hunting gods If there were a Minnesota Turkey Hunter Hall of Shame, I could be a prime candidate for induction. It's been so long since I've wrapped a tag around a Minnesota bird's leg that I can't remember exactly the last time I've pulled the trigger on a gobbl
- No Headline Provided Key City Conservation Club to hold Youth Day MADISON LAKE -- The Key City Conservation Club will hold a 12th Annual Youth Day, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., Saturday, May 3, at its club property at 23370 Blue Earth Co. Rd 188, Madison Lake. A variety of outdoor ac
Eileen Factor, 85, from Le Center passed away on Monday, April 14, 2014.
Cross column: Exorcising winter's demons ... finally
Can't beat fresh fish for a meal
- Trout opportunities available Saturday Trout opportunites available Saturday WATERVILLE -- Anglers looking for a little open water relief from this extended winter might consider heading to one of the area's trout fishing venues next Saturday when the Minnesota stream trout season begins.
- More Outdoors Headlines