The Free Press, Mankato, MN

September 2, 2013

Cartony scores two goals to lead Gusties

Women's soccer gets first win of season

The Free Press
The Mankato Free Press

---- — ST. PETER — Senior Amanda Cartony scored a pair of goals on Monday to lead the Gustavus Adolphus women’s soccer team to its first win of the season. The Gusties downed the University of Wisconsin-Stout 4-1 at the Gustavus field.

After taking a 2-0 lead just over two minutes into the second half, the Blue Devils came back to tie the game, but the Gusties responded with two goals in the final 10 minutes to capture the nonconference win.

“I think we came into today with a little more confidence,” said head coach Laura Burnett-Kurie. “We knew that when we played well on Friday we could move the ball well, so having that confidence helped us coming into the game. We moved the ball from the start and by doing that we were able to create a lot of dangerous opportunities.”

Freshman Maddison Ackiss sparked the Gustavus offense in the 38th minute with the first goal of her collegiate career. The forward took the ball up the left side, outrunning a UW-Stout defender and leaving no one goalkeeper Robbie Shelby between the ball and the back of the net. Ackiss punched a shot past a charging Shelby to put Gustavus on top 1-0.

“We had a good combination of energy and movement to start with,” said Ackiss. “We had good possession from the start and I think that just carried on throughout the game.”

Leading 1-0 at halftime, the Gusties scored just 2:25 into the second frame. This time, it was Cartony who found herself on the end of a corner kick from Leah Brossoit. Cartony sent a header into the back of the net to extend the Gusavus lead to 2-0.

UW-Stout came back strong, however, as the Blue Devils scored two straight goals to tie the game in the 77th minute.

The first goal was scored in the 60th minuted when Alix Hyduke was awarded a penalty kick after being fouled inside the box. Hyduke made good on the attempt to close the gap to 2-1.

Stout scored again 17 minutes later when Kelly Conn cleaned up a rebound in front of the goal and put it away for her second goal of the season. With the score tied at 2 and the momentum seemingly in UW-Stout's favor, the Gusties staged a rally of their own.

“After Stout did a good job of coming back and tying the game up, some of our leaders stepped up,” said Burnett-Kurie. “We were able to find ourselves and you really saw the players who pushed forward and got us going again.”

In the 82nd minute, Brittany Chase brought the ball up the right side and centered it in front of the net to Ackiss. A quick touch from Ackiss directed the ball to the back post where Cartony found herself all alone. Cartony put it away for the game-winning score and her second goal of the game as Gustavus held a 3-2 advantage.

Fresshman Coursey Edwards added an insurance goal in the 88th minute as she took a apss from Jana Elliott on the back post. Edwards did not let an open shot go to waste, burying the ball in the back of the net to punctuate the 4-2 triumph.

Junior keeper Caroline Olson got the win, making six saves. Her counterpart, Paige Meyer, also stopped six shots in the losing cause.

The decision leaves both teams with a 1-1 record on the season. The Gusties return to the pitch on Saturday with a game at UW-LaCrosse. Game time is 2 p.m.

Gustavus' next home match is 4 p.m. on Sept. 18 against Carleton.