The Free Press, Mankato, MN

State, national news

December 4, 2013

Archdiocese braces parish leaders for disclosure of accused priests

Archdiocese says 92 parishes have had at least one priest on the list assigned to them

(Continued)

In the email to priests, Charles Lachowitzer, vicar general and moderator of the curia, wrote that the archdiocese plans to send parish leaders another email on Thursday, with links to the disclosure, a question-and-answer sheet related to the disclosure, and a pulpit announcement for use at all Masses this weekend.

"It continues to be a very challenging and stressful time for all of us in our local Church. However, I am confident that we are making the right decisions in the interest of honesty, transparency and justice," the email said. "We are especially focused on our goals to protect the young and vulnerable, care for the victims of abuse, and begin a healing process to restore trust with both the laity and our many clergy who are serving honorably. These goals are guiding our decisions and actions."

There are a total of 33 names on the archdiocese's list. Of the four whose names might not be released Thursday, archdiocese attorney Tom Wieser said earlier this week that one was a member of a religious order and there's no information showing he served in the archdiocese. The other three are priests for whom the archdiocese says the allegations can't be substantiated, and those files are being reviewed.

On Monday, a judge said the archdiocese had until Dec. 17 to disclose the accused clerics' names; birth year and age; year of ordination; whether they're alive or dead and the year of death; the parishes in which they served; their current status; and the city and state where they live.

------

Associated Press writer Patrick Condon contributed to this report.

------

Follow Amy Forliti on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/amyforliti

Text Only | Photo Reprints
State, national news