A British man wrestled a shark away from the shallow waters of an Australian beach. Bystanders were also surprised to see the shark in a nearby creek.
- State, national news
- Big freeze means changed landscape on Great Lakes CORNUCOPIA, Wis. — On some days, Kevin Hunt stands at his Star North gas station in this eye-blink of a town on mighty Lake Superior, marveling at Mother Nature and his own dumb luck. Everywhere he looks: ice and people. Months ago, many warned him
- Bullying bill clears Senate committee ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — Revised legislation that protects students against bullies has the support of a key Senate committee in Minnesota. The anti-bullying bill packed a Senate Education Committee Tuesday during a five-hour hearing. The bill eventua
- Medical marijuana poised for ad-war win in Florida MIAMI — Medical marijuana is so popular in Florida that 78 percent of likely voters in Republican-controlled state Senate districts back the idea, according to a recent state GOP poll obtained by The Miami Herald. The survey echoes two others last m
- Dayton: Still time for pot deal ST. PAUL (AP) — A push to legalize medical marijuana in Minnesota was in limbo Tuesday after a key lawmaker said she had reached an impasse in negotiations with law enforcement to get their support. Rep. Carly Melin said she had conceded to virtuall
- Nienstedt returns to public ministry MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The leader of the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis says he'll return to public ministry, after authorities announced they will decline to prosecute him over an allegation of inappropriate touching. Archbishop John Nienstedt
- Wrestler who lost title hugs opponent's sick dad Instead of getting upset when he lost the title match in the Class 3A tournament, Blaine High School sophomore Malik Stewart went over to his opponent's dad — who is dying of cancer — and gave him a hug
- Ex-DC teacher gets 25 years in child porn case Eric Justin Toth spent five years on the run, living in Arizona and Texas before escaping the country.
- Ex-Gov. Christie aides to judge: Quash subpoenas TRENTON, N.J. (AP) — Lawyers for two key figures in a political payback scandal ensnaring Gov. Chris Christie's administration will go in court to try to persuade a judge not to force them to turn over text messages and other private communications t
- A community makes a difference in providing effective health care BATON ROUGE, La. — Patients begin lining up outside Capitol City Family Health Center before the doors open at 7:30 a.m. The clinic, on a ragged stretch of the boulevard that separates the black and white sections of town, is a refuge for thousands
- Panel to debate privacy bills, such as drone curbs ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — Legislation aimed at curbing use of high-tech surveillance by law enforcement and others is getting an airing. The Minnesota House Public Safety and Finance Committee planned hearings Tuesday on a package of bills in the priva
- More State, national news Headlines