ST. PETER – The renovation of a 70-year-old building on the campus of Gustavus Adolphus College has been awarded the LEED Gold certification from the U.S. Green Building Council.
Renovation of the more than 27,000-square-foot Arthur H. Anderson Hall was done in 2016 by Kraus-Anderson and designed by BWBR.
It is the second highest of four certifications for projects that are designed, constructed and operated for improved environmental and human health performance.
The renovated building includes a three-story open gathering space to encourage collaboration and group work for students and faculty.
The historic Kasota stone building opened in 1948 and originally served as the Gustavus library. It was renamed A.H. Anderson Hall in 1973 and became the home of the social sciences until 2011. It now houses a variety of academic programs and offices.
To earn the LEED Gold award, buildings must demonstrate performance standards that include sustainable site developments, water savings, waste management, energy efficiency, materials selection and indoor environmental quality.
Some of the strategies used on Anderson Hall included selecting low-emitting materials, implementing green cleaning and equipment policies, and achieving energy cost savings of nearly 40 percent below baseline.
The multifaith center inside the hall includes low-flow water fixtures, as well as daylighting strategies without sacrificing privacy. The building structure was 91 percent reused, including much of the original local limestone. More than 95 percent of the construction waste was recycled.
In addition, the project featured new boilers, which replaced Anderson Hall’s original heating system that was previously connected to a campus-wide steam system that runs through tunnels.
Outside the site is covered with drought-resistant native plants.
Kraus-Anderson also headed up much of the campus reconstruction after the 1998 tornado and the Beck Academic Hall, which received the top LEED certification of platinum.