There are many reasons to support the improvement of Highway 14 from Nicollet to New Ulm to four-lane status:
1. This stretch of Highway 14 has a notorious bad safety record because of all the serious accidents and heavy traffic.
2. The road is in poor condition and the Minnesota Department of Transportation is patching it often.
3. New Ulm is the largest city in Minnesota without direct connection to a four-lane highway.
4. There are around 1,000 semi trucks operating out of New Ulm — and this does not include some big firms that have their own trucks coming to New Ulm, such as Walmart and Menards.
5. New Ulm has some large manufacturing plants that require many semis to service their businesses, such as 3M, Kraft, AMPI, Firminich, etc. There are many smaller firms that require trucking also.
New Ulm is long overdue to get a four-lane highway access.